- When you're breading chicken, coat it in flour before you dip it in the egg wash and breading mixture. It makes the breading mixture stick much better and cook crispier.
- If you run out of powdered sugar, blend 1 cup of sugar and 1 T cornstarch in the blender to get powdered sugar.
- After your fill up muffin cups, drop the pan lightly on the counter a couple of times to get rid of air pockets and make your muffins bake more evenly.
- Write changes you make to recipes and how long you bake things in pencil next to the recipe so that you don't have to guess the next time how long the cookies should be in the oven.
- If you don't have a cookie cutter, use a glass to cut out sugar cookies. You'll get perfectly round cookies every time.
- When frosting cookies or cupcakes, put a glob of frosting in the middle of the cupcake and swirl around with the back of a spoon until it covers the top of the cupcake.
- When you cut hot treats (brownies, cakes, etc.) first dip the knife in hot water, dry it off, and then run through the hot treats. You'll be able to cut through much easier.
- Take the cookies out of the oven when they're just beginning to brown and are still very soft. Place them immediately on a cooling rack and let them cool. They'll harden plenty but will remain soft. If you leave them in the oven until they feel done, they'll harden.
- To soften a stick of refrigerated butter, cook in the microwave for two minutes on level 2.
- There is almost always something you can substitute- list here.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Works for Me Wednesday #23: My Favorite Baking Tips
So I couldn't come up with anything real exciting this week, so here are some of my favorite cooking/baking tips and tricks that I use all the time. My biggest trick is to have a mixer; I've got the Bosch pictured to the left, and I LOVE it! But, since not everyone has an amazing mom who thought they needed a mixer, here are some tips for everyone else.